Expertly Designed For Novice MASTERS Triathletes.
"Last year I couldn't run a mile without stopping and only bike 10 miles. Using your Novice IM 140.6 plan I just finished IM AZ. Your plan made it possible for me to finish. Thank You!" John McKenna, Nov 2018
"I progressed from 15:17 hrs to 10:18 hrs using Phil's Plan. The results say it all!" Chris Waddell, 2018
Read "Why Use A Masters Plan" for more about this plan. Key features include:
To start this plan you should be able to swim 1200 m/yds, ride for 60 mins and jog for 30 mins. View sample weeks below:
This fitness test helps you to set your power or heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
12 mins in Z2,
5 x (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
5 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
This test helps you to measure fitness and create accurate training zones.
4 x (50 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests),
2 x (25 FS in Z4 + 25 FS in Z2 + 20 sec rests).
1 x 400 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
5 mins easy active recovery,
1 x 200 FS maximal effort time trial, record time,
1 min rest.
100 Choice in Z2
For all swims (whether in a Yard or Meter Pool) follow the distances in the Workout Description section. There is also yard/meter button you can toggle in the Workout Details section below.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 2 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Alternate Lunge: 2 x 8 (Exercise 5)
3. Single Leg Squat: 2 x 6 (Exercise 3)
4. Reverse Lunge: 2 x 6 (Exercise 6)
5. Bent Over Row: 2 x 12 (Exercise 12)
6. Push Up: 2 x 12 (Exercise 13)
7. Glute Bridge: 2 x 12 (Exercise 18)
8. Bird Dog: 2 x 7 (Exercise 19)
9. Plank: 1 x 2 (Exercise 21)
10. Reverse Crunch: 2 x 12 (Exercise 28)
Flexibility: 5-10 minutes
1. 2 x 12 = 2 sets of 12 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 20-40 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z2 (easy/steady).
Run for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
Get warm or dry clothes on and walk for 5 mins. Optional gentle stretching session after.
Ride at an easy/steady intensity, mainly in Z2 today. You should be able to chat at this intensity. This ride will improve your efficiency for using fat for fuel and increase your ability to transport oxygen to your working muscles.
These swims involve effort at or above race pace, with regular recoveries. They will build your sustainable speed for race day.
1 x (100 FS in Z2 + 100 Kick in Z2 + 20 secs rest),
1 x (100 Drill* in Z2 + 20 secs rest).
2 x (50 FS in Z2 + 50 FS in Z3 + 20 sec rests),
3 x (50 Pull in Z2 + 50 Pull in Z4 + 30 sec rests),
2 x (50 FS in Z2 + 50 FS in Z5 + 30 sec rests).
2 x (50 FS in Z2 + 50 Choice in Z2).
A steady run, mainly in Z2. You should be able to chat at this intensity. This is your long run for the week and it will progress in duration. They will gradually build your endurance.