IRONMAN FLORIDA 140.6 TRAINING PLAN for TIME CRUNCHED ATHLETES
BEFORE YOU BUY THE PLAN, check out the virtual training group. Entry into the group comes with off season plan, race specific plan, bi-weekly calls, mentoring and more.
The goal of this training plan is to prepare you for your IRONMAN Florida 140.6 race with minimal training time available over 31 weeks. Before starting the plan, you must be relatively fit, injury free and with no health concerns. Consult with your doctor before starting any training plan. Must be able to swim 750 meters continuously, ride 90 minutes, jog 60 minutes.
Aimed for the time deprived triathlete, there are 5 build periods. This plan spans 31 weeks to get you ready without the need of copious amounts of training time per week. Largest volume week is 14 hours. This plan utilizes consistency over time to get you to the finish line.
This plan utilizes heart rate zones and reported perceived effort. Use of heart rate monitors is not required, but suggested. If distance is called out, perform workout to that distance. Times and distances are estimated for plan to give general idea of hours per week. Where time is called out, distances not assumed so totals for plan may reflect workouts with 0 miles. Where distance is called out, time is assumed. DO NOT feel obligated to meet time and distance. Do what's called out in the comments. Bike workouts typically meant for trainer or spin bike, but can be translated for outdoor rides. If the workout does not have a warm up listed, it is implied that there should be a 5 minute warm up jog/spin with dynamic stretching before getting into the main sets. If workouts will be done as brick, wait for static stretching AFTER last session for brick. Visit www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and click on example plan links for advice on determining heart rate zones, access other sample plans, workouts and Zwift workout files.
- EASY RUN // ZONE 2 to low 3 // Low intensity, conversational pace.
- GOAL RACE PACE (GRP) // ZONE 3 // The pace you are aiming to sustain for your race
- SIMULATION RACE RUN (MS): First half segment of run is performed at 60 sec/mile slower than GRP or easy pace, second half segment is performed at Goal Race Pace.
- LONG RUNS // ZONE 2 to low 3 // These runs are performed at 60-70 seconds slower per mile than GRP. Keep the pace easy and aerobic.
- ANAEROBIC THRESHOLD REPEATS (AT) // ZONE 4 to 5 // These repeats (essentially 1M-2KM in distance) should be performed at approximately 10km race pace. The recovery interval should consist of walking or easy running before performing the next repeat. A repeat is the amount of time that is performed at AT.
- STRIDES // Gentle sprints. Smooth, relaxed and easy running accelerations lasting about 10-15 seconds or 60-80 yards/meters. Reach a speed of about 80% of max. Rest about 1-2 minutes between strides
If you have any questions or would like one-on-one coaching or consultation on the plan, please head over to www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and fill out the contact form, email or message me at email@example.com . I am a USAT Level 1 Certified and IRONMAN U certified with 6 years coaching experience and 14 years racing experience.