This is a 100 day off season program for triathletes. Designed for long course triathletes but short course triathletes will also find it ideal.
The Off Season Program is designed with the following characteristics to help triathletes:
-Work on swim speed, stroke diversity, technique and other neglected swim mechanics.
-Build Functional Threshold Power and leg strength.
-Running aerobics and core system oxygen delivery.
-Time boxed off the bike running consistency
-Consistent volume and framework designed to cultivate habituation so the triathlete can remain consistent in the off season and position for the new season.
The first part of this run is 30 minutes at aerobic pace.
400 – swam as:
(50 swim/50 pull) -easy
touch and go. (soon as you touch, leave on the nearest 0 or 5)
4x150 free desc 1-3, #4 easy, on 2:30-2:45
4x75 free fast! best average
100 swim easy
4x100 free desc 1-3, #4 easy, base+10
100 swim easy/choice
Determine your Functional Threshold Power (FTP).
1) Warm up with an easy spin for 15 minutes.
2) Set your watch/head unit to display current and normalized power then begin the 20 minute test. (start your watch/head unit)
3) For 20 minutes, the objective is to rmaximize wattage. (highest gear and high cadence you can sustain on average). Build into it gradually and don't try to get it all in a short time otherwise you'll burn out quickly.
4) At 20 minutes stop your watch/head unit and save the data. then cool down for 15 minutes at a recovery pace.
5) Update FTP and threshold heart rate, and heart rate zones in the TrainingPeaks Athlete Account Settings in the "zones" section. This will ensure your workouts will build with correct paces for the prescribed intensities.
**Build Focus: 3-5 Circuits, 12-15 Reps, Medium Weight
**Click on the Paperclip above to view the MOV video file, or click hyperlink. http://bit.ly/BasicStrength1
Dumbbell Incline Chest Press
Pull-up or Pulldown
Incline Crunch or Little Big
250 kick/swim by 50
Main Set (6 Rounds)
100 @ B
3x50 free @ 1:00
#'s 1+2 build, #3 for time!
Report back on your fastest 50 for the #3s
30 minute bike, followed by 30 minute run.
90% of threshold for 30 minutes