Beginner IRONMAN® (20 Weeks, by Power & Pace)
Alison Freeman: USAT Level II Endurance, IRONMAN®, & TrainingPeaks Level 2 Certified Triathlon CoachAll plans by this Coach
STRUCTURED PLANS. PROVEN RESULTS.
Coach Alison’s plans are designed to set you up for success! She incorporates training strategies with proven success to ensure that your fitness is where it needs to be when you toe the start line. Don’t spend your time worrying about whether you’re training correctly - put your trust in the plan so all you need to worry about is executing.
About the Plan:
This 20 week program is a Beginner Plan for 140.6 athletes. It’s great for first-timers!
A typical week has 3 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, and 2 strength sessions. Your days off are Mondays, your long rides are on Saturdays, and your long runs are on Sundays. There are bike-run (brick) workouts on most Saturdays beginning with week 5. One race simulation day is included in week 16. There are benchmark workouts in weeks 5 and 13 to update your training zones.
Workout Distances & Durations:
Prior to starting this plan, you should have a good base of an average of 7-8 hours of weekly training for the past four weeks.
The first week of the plan includes 7 hours 30 minutes of training, plus two 30 minute strength sessions:
- 4350 yards/meters of swimming / 1650 yards/meters as your longest swim
- 3 hours 10 minutes of cycling / 1 hour 30 minutes as your longest bike
- 2 hours 25 minutes of running / 1 hour as your longest run
You will build in your max week to 17 hours 30 minutes of training, plus two 30 minute strength sessions:
- 8000 yards/meters of swimming / 4000 yards/meters as your longest swim
- 9 hours of cycling / 6 hours 30 minutes as your longest bike
- 5 hours of running / 2 hours 30 minutes as your longest run
All Workouts Are Structured Workouts!
The plan uses the TrainingPeaks structured workout feature, providing precise workout details including pace or power targets for all segments/intervals within each workout. These workouts can be easily imported into devices, including most Garmin multisport watches and bike computers, as well as into trainer software such as Zwift. See the Structured Workout Help Page for more information.
A Website Just for Coach Alison’s Athletes!
Coach Alison’s website, linked within the training plan, provides a wide range of information for her athletes. From training zones to understanding TrainingPeaks data to fueling guidelines to Zwift routes, her website is a resource that will support your training journey from start to finish.
Email Coach Alison.
IRONMAN® and IRONMAN 70.3® are registered trademarks of World Triathlon Corporation (WTC).
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?