Browse More Plans
D3 Ironman Plan, Intermediate,12 weeks, with Power and Structured Workouts
Includes Structured Workouts
Mike Ricci - Head Coach and Founder of D3 Multisport, USAT Coach of the YearAll plans by this Coach
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Includes Structured Workouts
DESIRE. DETERMINATION. DISCIPLINE. Our plans get results!
Author: Mike Ricci
- Founder, Head Coach D3 Multisport, Inc. 2000-18
- USA Triathlon Coach of the Year and 2017 USAT World Team Coach
- USA Triathlon Elite Level 3 Coach (1 of 19 in the US)
- Coached the University of Colorado Triathlon Team to 4 straight National Titles 2010-2013
- Coached multiple National Champions, Kona Qualifiers, and 1st yr. triathletes
- Coached the AG National Champion in 2015 and AG World Champion in 2016 (25-29 AG)
A solid training plan equals athlete success:"My race went well, smashed my goal of 5:45 with a 5:04. The plan was great and have recommended it to friends. I will purchase a plan for the full IM next year." Thanks, Eric D.
Length: This 16 week program is an Intermediate Ironman Plan for athletes who are first time IM athletes all the way up to those trying to break 12 hours. This plan has less volume and intensity than the Advanced plan as it averages 14.75 hours per week and has a max. week of 20 hrs. The weeks have 3 swims, 4 bikes, 3 runs, 1 brick run and 2 strength sessions.
Requirements: You should have a good base over the past 4-6 weeks. Going into this plan you should be able to:
- Swim at least 3,000 yards
- Bike at least 3 hours
- Run 120 minutes
You will build to:
- 5,000m of swimming
- 6.5 hours of cycling
- 2.75 hours of running
Your off day is Friday, your long ride is Saturday and long run is on Thursday.
Our programs are designed for the age group triathlete who has a busy life with a full-time job, a family and/or other responsibilities. In this program, the longer workouts will be on the weekends, and the weekdays will consist of shorter workouts. There will be bike-run (or brick) workouts on most Saturdays and there will be a race simulation during this plan. During the training plan, there is testing every few weeks to assess your fitness and you can re-adjust your Heart Rate and Power Zones. If you don’t train with a HR or Power meter, that’s fine because the tests are still good training as you can measure improvement based on time and effort.
Our plans set YOU up for success. The main goal of this plan is to help you achieve your best race! Mike has been coaching for 25+ years and uses that collective experience to help each individual athlete be successful at any level. His passion for the sport and wisdom gained from coaching thousands of athletes goes into designing a plan. He has taken the guesswork out of training with this plan and looks forward to helping you too.
We leave no stone unturned in helping you reach your goals. Purchase of this plan includes:
- Strategically designed, simple to follow ‘Structured Workouts’
- Strength workouts and core programs are included in this program
- D3 'Terminology', and 'Determining Heart Rate and Power Zones' documents
- Insider Access to premium content on and instructional videos
- The opportunity to be a part of one of the top Ironman Club Teams in the World, Team D3
- Access to our private, Team D3 Facebook group to ask our USAT Certified Coaches questions
- Team Sponsor Discounts
If you have questions email Coach Mike and learn how we get it done for our athletes: www.D3Multisport.com
IRONMAN®, IRONMAN 70.3® and IRONMAN Triathlon® are registered trademarks of World Triathlon Corporation (WTC).
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|4:02 hrs||2:45 hrs|
|2:43 hrs||1:30 hrs|
|7:14 hrs||7:00 hrs|
|0:47 hrs||0:45 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||4:02 hrs||2:45 hrs|
||2:43 hrs||1:30 hrs|
||7:14 hrs||7:00 hrs|
||0:47 hrs||0:45 hrs|