Designed for novice half Ironman triathletes, this training plan will build your confidence and race fitness for your key half Ironman race.
"Let me express my thanks for guiding me through one of your plans towards the successful completion of my first Ironman 70.3 last weekend in Luxembourg. I did 05:44:11 with a big smile on my face at the finish line and ZERO pain in my muscles!!!" Giordano Mastrocinque, June 2016
IS THIS PLAN FOR YOU?
Generally there are seven workouts per week, consisting of 2 swims, 2 cycles, 2 to 3 runs and a strength workout. Weekend training generally consists of a long ride and a long run, with shorter workouts in the week. With just four weeks to go, there is a focus on building your confidence and race skills.
Phil Mosley: "I have 20 years experience of helping age group athletes surpass their goals, while still making sure they have quality time available for family, friends and career. My training plans are intelligently designed around a typical work week. I set proven, time-efficient higher intensity workouts in mid-week, with longer aerobic workouts at the weekends."
These technique swim workouts should never feel too hard. Their purpose is to help improve your stroke and feel for the water. See the instructions attached to Day 1 for the KEY to abbreviations. See paper clip icon above, for swim drill descriptions.
400FC breathe every 3 strokes +15secs rest,
5x100 as (50DRILL*/50PULL) in Zone 2 +10secs rests
6x100 as (75FC in Zone 3/25BACK in Zone 2) +15secs rests,
2x100KICK as (25 in Zone 2, 50 in Zone 3, 25 in Zone 2) +10secs rests.
200 alternating (50KICK/50FC) all in Zone 2 +15secs rest,
200 alternating (50BACK/50FC) all in Zone 2 +15secs rest,
200FC in Zone 2.
This can be done outside or using an indoor trainer. If you're outside and you feel good, you can extend the warm up and warm down by 10 minutes each.
7mins in Zone 2,
3mins as (15secs in Zone 3, 45secs in Zone 2).
15, 12, 10, 8mins all in low Zone 4 +60secs recoveries in Zone 2.
5mins in Zone 2.
As soon as you finish cycling, slip your running shoes on and run:
Run 2mins run in Zone 4, then jog for 13mins in Zone 2.
Take it steady, all in Zone 2. You should be able to breathe through your nose only, if you wanted to. If not, you're going too hard.
200FC in Zone 2 +20secs tread water, 200FC in Zone 2 +20secs tread water. 200FC in Zone 2 +20secs tread water, 200FC in Zone 2 +20secs tread water.
- 8x100FC in Zone 4, hard but controlled efforts. Beach or deep water starts. Imagine they are race-starts. With 15secs rests.
2x200FC in Zone 2 +10secs rests
5mins RUN in Zone 2
- One leg squat in front of mirror. As many as you can do with good form - stop before soreness. One set. Hold light dumbbells once you can do 20 easily.
- Single calf raise (1 set of as many as you can but stop before soreness sets in). Add dumbbells once you can do 20 easily.
- Reverse lunge in front of mirror. Add dumbbells once you can do 20 with good form.
- Front plank (1 rep only - as long as you can hold)
- Side plank (1 rep only - as long as you can hold on each side)
- Slow Press Ups (2 sets, as many as you can)
- Pull Ups (2 sets, as many as you can)
Static stretches: calves, hamstrings, quads, glutes, adductors. 20-30secs each.
Ride outside mainly in Zone 2