IRONMAN® 70.3 80/20 Polarised Plan | HR | 9 Wk Specific Preparation | Email Access to Coach
Karen ParnellAll plans by this Coach
Welcome to your 80/20 polarised IRONMAN® 70.3 training plan.
We will use the very latest techniques of polarised training to get you to the finish line in great shape and enjoy your training journey on the way. This plan is the 9 weeks specific preparation phase which is 7 weeks and then a 2 week taper. This phase is also know as Build and Peak phase of training. It's should be preceded by a Base or General Preparation Phase of training and a 9 week plan is available from us.
Polarised training is a model which means you will spend 80 per cent of your time training at a moderate intensity and 20 per cent at a high intensity. Polarised training plans generally outperform other training methods and help prevent injury.
In the specific phase, the weekend swim and bike or bike and run workouts are scheduled on the same day and should be done back to back as a "brick" session to simulate the demands of 70.3 racing.
On weekdays during the specific phase, bike and run workouts scheduled on the same day are optional bricks. These sessions are good opportunities to practice pacing and nutrition and to test out race equipment so that these things are familiar on race day. There is an optional Sprint or Olympic Distance practice race or race simulation in week 6.
This plan is for first time 70.3 athletes and even first time triathletes and enable you to finish strong at your event. You should be able to swim and run comfortably for 45 minutes and cycle for 60 minutes and complete at least 3 hours of aerobic exercise over seven days.
What do you get in the plan:
- 9 weeks of swim, bike, run and S&C sessions (HR)
- Links to videos that will help you complete the sessions. Swim Drill videos, S&C exercises and more
- Links to downloadable session plans including comprehensive swim session plans
- The bike sessions include Heart Rate profiles that you can download and use with your indoor trainer (Zwift etc) and Garmin.
- The Run session have Heart Rate structured session for download to Garmin etc
You should consult your doctor before embarking on any physical fitness training. For any of the sessions, especially the strength and conditioning sessions, if you are unsure of the exercises then seek the help and advice of a professional near you.
I also offer an option to change plans if you feel you need more or less volume etc. I also offer a bespoke planning service to all athletes; if you need a plan built around your lifestyle, strengths and weaknesses, event and time to train but are not ready to have a coach, a bespoke plan is a great option; please get in touch, and we can build a plan that suits you firstname.lastname@example.org and chilitri.com.
My name is Karen and I live in Southern Spain where I coach and run Triathlon training camps all year round (ChiliTri). I'm an IRONMAN® Certified Coach, Level 3 British Triathlon Federation Coach and Tutor and qualified Personal Trainer (AIQ/NASM) So if you would like face to face coaching please get in touch.
Good luck with your training and IRONMAN® event!
For more information on the 80/20 triathlon training methodology please see the 80/20 Triathlon book by Matt Fitzgerald and David Warden.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?