FIRST TIME LONG COURSE (HALF) DISTANCE TRAINING PLAN | 18 Weeks
John Stein, USAT L1 CoachAll plans by this Coach
Are you looking to tackle your first (half) long course race?
This 18 week, easy-to-follow training plan is built specifically for beginner triathletes who are looking for a step up from Olympic distance races. A base level of fitness and experience is recommended, however not required. Workouts are structured around your Rated Perceived Exertion (RPE) which measures intensity of each workout, so this is ideal for triathletes who don't use a power meter for training.
This training plan is structured into four mesocycle training blocks, including a built in recovery week:
1. Mesocycle 1: Base (Weeks 1-4)
2. Mesocycle 2: Build #1 (Weeks 5-8)
3. Recovery (Week 9)
3. Mesocycle 3: Build #2 (Weeks 10-12)
4. Mesocycle 4: Build #3 (Weeks 13-15)
5. Mesocycle 5: Peak (Week 16)
6. Race/Taper Weeks (Week 17-18)
This plan provides athletes with a structured swim, bike, run or brick workout for 5-6 days per week, with at least one recovery day. Swim workouts are based on distance, while bike and run workouts are based on duration. Additionally, longer duration workouts are planned for the weekends, but can be shifted as need based on the athlete's personal schedule.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|2:36 hrs||2:00 hrs|
|3:41 hrs||3:30 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||2:36 hrs||2:00 hrs|
||3:41 hrs||3:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?