IRONMAN BOULDER 70.3 12 WEEK TRAINING PLAN // INTERMEDIATE to ADVANCED
BEFORE YOU BUY THE PLAN, check out the virtual training group. Entry into the group comes with off season plan, race specific plan, bi-weekly calls, mentoring and more.
This plan is designed for the intermediate to advanced age group athlete taking on the 70.3 distance with 12 weeks training plan. The primary goal of this training plan is to prepare you for your IRONMAN 70.3 Boulder race.
Before starting the plan, you must be relatively fit, injury free and with no health concerns. Consult with your doctor before starting any training plan.
By relatively fit, I mean being able to:
- swim 500 meters continuously
- ride 60 minutes
- jog 45 minutes
A typical week includes:
- 3 swims (build to 3000 meters or yards)
- 3 to 4 bike rides (build to 65 miles)
- 3 to 4 runs (build to 14 miles)
- 2 strength sessions
Times are estimated and depends on the individual athlete when running distance work. Your long ride is Saturday, long run is Sunday and Monday is recovery swim day.
This plan utilizes heart rate zones and reported perceived effort. Use of heart rate monitors is not required, but suggested. If distance is called out, perform workout to that distance. Times and distances are estimated for this plan to give a general idea of hours per week. Where time is called out, distances not assumed so totals for plan may reflect workouts with 0 miles. Where distance is called out, time is assumed. DO NOT feel obligated to meet time and distance. Do what's called out in the comments. Bike workouts typically meant for trainer or spin bike, but can be translated for outdoor rides. If the workout does not have a warm up listed, it is implied that there should be a 5 minute warm up jog/spin with dynamic stretching before getting into the main sets. If workouts will be done as a brick, wait for static stretching AFTER the last session for the brick.
- EASY RUN // ZONE 2 to low 3 // Low intensity, conversational pace.
- GOAL RACE PACE (GRP) // ZONE 3 // The pace you are aiming to sustain for your race
- SIMULATION RACE RUN (MS): First half segment of run is performed at 60 sec/mile slower than GRP or easy pace, second half segment is performed at Goal Race Pace.
- LONG RUNS // ZONE 2 to low 3 // These runs are performed at 60-70 seconds slower per mile than GRP. Keep the pace easy and aerobic.
- ANAEROBIC THRESHOLD REPEATS (AT) // ZONE 4 to 5 // These repeats (essentially 1M-2KM in distance) should be performed at approximately 10km race pace. The recovery interval should consist of walking or easy running before performing the next repeat. A repeat is the amount of time that is performed at AT.
- STRIDES // Gentle sprints. Smooth, relaxed and easy running accelerations lasting about 10-15 seconds or 60-80 yards/meters. Reach a speed of about 80% of max. Rest about 1-2 minutes between strides
- WARM UP // RUN // 5 to 10 min easy pace + 5 min dynamic stretches
- WARM UP // BIKE // 10 min easy spin @ 90-100 rpm
- COOL DOWN // 5 to 10 min easy pace
If you have any questions or would like one-on-one coaching or consultation on the plan, please head over to www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and fill out the contact form, email or message me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am a USAT Level 1 Certified