Ryan Eckert, MS, CSCSAll plans by this Coach
"My Peak Endurance Solutions training plan was, hands down, the best money I’ve spent on the sport of triathlon. Whether you are a first-time racer or an elite athlete looking to podium, you can be confident that Ryan has developed a plan that will accentuate your strengths and effectively build on your weaknesses. There are a lot of training plans out there that you could purchase, but what sets Peak Endurance Solutions apart is the person behind the plan - Ryan is kind, patient, motivating, and seriously passionate about helping you to achieve your goals. Buy a plan from him and his love for training and triathlons will constantly remind you why you do the sport." - Ben C.
This is a beginner training plan for an athlete interested in completing a half-distance triathlon (1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run). This training plan is geared more towards the individual that is interested in completing their first or second race at this distance and has minimal triathlon experience. This training plan is prescribed and individualized based on Rating of Perceived Exertion (1-10 scale) and assumes that an athlete has the equipment necessary to swim, bike, and run. This training plan includes a mixture of pool swimming and open water swimming, as well as road running and road cycling, and resistance training performed in a gym. An athlete interested in this training plan should have developed a basic level fo fitness through exercising regularly 3-4x/week for 3-6 months prior to beginning this plan. Athletes should also be a competent swimmer and be able to swim 200-400 yards/meters at a time comfortably. If the athlete is new to swimming or cycling, it is recommended that they also seek out personal and individual coaching from a sport-specific coach to help them master the fundamentals of swimming as well as the basics of riding a bike.
Note: When viewing the average weekly hours within the Training Plan Preview, total swim hours estimated and are not the exact duration you will likely end up swimming in each session. The swim hours are estimated based on the yards/meters of each individual swim session.
This training plan comes with a few documents/resources that will prove useful to athletes while following along to the prescribed plan:
1. Instructional Booklet - Contains basic educational and background material that will help the athlete successfully complete the training plan and learn about the training process
2. Exercise Technique Guidebook - Contains pictures and descriptions of over 80 exercises that will help the athlete successfully complete training sessions prescribed within the plan
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the swim sessions within this training plan include:
-wetsuit (if swimming in colder open water venues during training or racing)
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the bike sessions within this training plan include:
-bike (standard road bike or triathlon-specific bike are ideal)
-proper cycling clothes and attire (cycling shoes if desired and cycling shorts and jerseys)
-flat kit (can be kept in saddle bag or in jersey pockets while riding)
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the run sessions within this training plan include:
-proper run clothing and attire
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.