Intermediate IRONMAN® 70.3® (20 Weeks, by Power & Pace)
Alison Freeman: USAT Level II Endurance, IRONMAN®, & TrainingPeaks Level 2 Certified Triathlon CoachAll plans by this Coach
STRUCTURED PLANS. PROVEN RESULTS.
Coach Alison’s plans are designed to set you up for success! She incorporates training strategies with proven success to ensure that your fitness is where it needs to be when you toe the start line. Don’t spend your time worrying about whether you’re training correctly - put your trust in the plan so all you need to worry about is executing.
About the Plan:
This 20 week program is an Intermediate Plan for 70.3 athletes. This plan is a good fit if you have successfully completed at least one 70.3-distance race in less than 6:30 prior to beginning this plan, and you are looking for a strong performance on race day.
A typical week has 2 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs, and 2 strength sessions. Your days off are Mondays, your long rides are on Saturdays, and your long runs are on Sundays. There are bike-run (brick) workouts on most Saturdays beginning with week 4. There is a race simulation day in week 12 and a race day fitness benchmark in week 16. There are benchmark workouts in weeks 5 and 13 to update your training zones.
Workout Distances & Durations:
Prior to starting this plan, you should have a good base of an average of 8-10 hours of weekly training for the past four weeks.
The first week of the plan includes 8 hours of training, plus two 45 minute strength sessions:
- 3300 yards/meters of swimming / 1700 yards/meters as your longest swim
- 3 hours 50 minutes of cycling / 2 hours as your longest bike
- 2 hours 45 minutes of running / 1 hour 15 minutes as your longest run
You will build in your max week to 13 hours 40 minutes of training, plus two 45 minute strength sessions:
- 5000 yards/meters of swimming / 2750 yards/meters as your longest swim
- 6 hours 30 minutes of cycling / 3 hours 45 minutes as your longest bike
- 5 hours 20 minutes of running / 2 hours 15 minutes as your longest run
All Workouts Are Structured Workouts!
The plan uses the TrainingPeaks structured workout feature, providing precise workout details including pace or power targets for all segments/intervals within each workout. These workouts can be easily imported into devices, including most Garmin multisport watches and bike computers, as well as into trainer software such as Zwift. See the Structured Workout Help Page for more information.
A Website Just for Coach Alison’s Athletes!
Coach Alison’s website, linked within the training plan, provides a wide range of information for her athletes. From training zones to understanding TrainingPeaks data to fueling guidelines to Zwift routes, her website is a resource that will support your training journey from start to finish.
Email Coach Alison.
IRONMAN® and IRONMAN 70.3® are registered trademarks of World Triathlon Corporation (WTC).
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?