IRONMAN 70.3 INDIAN WELLS LA QUINTA TRAINING PLAN 2018 // 12 WEEKS // BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE
Ryan FalkenrathAll plans by this Coach
IRONMAN INDIAN WELLS LA QUINTA 70.3 TRAINING PLAN - 2018 EDITION
This plan is designed for the beginner to intermediate age group athlete taking on the Indian Wells La Quinta 70.3 distance with 12 weeks training plan.
Before starting the plan, you must be relatively fit, injury free and with no health concerns. Consult with your doctor before starting any training plan. Be able to: swim 500 meters continuously, ride 60 minutes, jog 45 minutes.
A typical week includes: 3 swims (build to 3000 meters or yards), 3-4 bike rides, 3-4 runs, 1 to 2 strength sessions from 15 to 30 minutes.
This plan utilizes heart rate zones and reported perceived effort. Use of heart rate monitors is not required, but suggested. If distance is called out, perform workout to that distance. Times and distances are estimated for this plan to give a general idea of hours per week. Where time is called out, distances not assumed so totals for plan may reflect workouts with 0 miles. Where distance is called out, time is assumed. DO NOT feel obligated to meet time and distance. Do what's called out in the comments. Bike workouts typically meant for trainer or spin bike, but can be translated for outdoor rides. If the workout does not have a warm up listed, it is implied that there should be a 5 minute warm up jog/spin with dynamic stretching before getting into the main sets. If workouts will be done as a brick, wait for static stretching AFTER the last session for the brick.
Visit www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and click on the example plan links for advice on determining heart rate zones, access other sample plans, workouts and Zwift workout files.
- EASY RUN // ZONE 2 to low 3 // Low intensity, conversational pace.
- GOAL RACE PACE (GRP) // ZONE 3 // The pace you are aiming to sustain for your race
- SIMULATION RACE RUN (MS): First half segment of run is performed at 60 sec/mile slower than GRP or easy pace, second half segment is performed at Goal Race Pace.
- LONG RUNS // ZONE 2 to low 3 // These runs are performed at 60-70 seconds slower per mile than GRP. Keep the pace easy and aerobic.
- ANAEROBIC THRESHOLD REPEATS (AT) // ZONE 4 to 5 // These repeats (essentially 1M-2KM in distance) should be performed at approximately 10km race pace. The recovery interval should consist of walking or easy running before performing the next repeat. A repeat is the amount of time that is performed at AT.
- STRIDES // Gentle sprints. Smooth, relaxed and easy running accelerations lasting about 10-15 seconds or 60-80 yards/meters. Reach a speed of about 80% of max. Rest about 1-2 minutes between strides
- WARM UP // RUN // 5 to 10 min easy pace + 5 min dynamic stretches
- WARM UP // BIKE // 10 min easy spin @ 90-100 rpm
- COOL DOWN // 5 to 10 min easy pace
My philosophy is very straightforward. Triathlon and endurance sports should complement your life, not make it difficult. These plans are boiled down to trim the fat into workouts that give you the best bang for your buck. Typical weeks run 10 or less hours and peak week gets to 13. You have to be diligent about getting at least 80% of the workouts per week done and at minimum the long work, or you may be suffering come race day. The non-negotiables are swim-bike-run workouts, proper nutrition, functional strength + flexibility and sleep. Without those at minimum, you will either get burnt out, chronic fatigue, injured or just plain quit. I don't want any of those for my athletes.
If you have any questions or would like one-on-one coaching or consultation on the plan, please head over to www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and fill out the contact form, email or message me.
I am a USAT Level 1 Certified and IRONMAN U certified with 6 years coaching experience and 14 years racing experience.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|2:43 hrs||1:15 hrs|
|3:15 hrs||2:30 hrs|
|3:35 hrs||3:00 hrs|
|0:31 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||2:43 hrs||1:15 hrs|
||3:15 hrs||2:30 hrs|
||3:35 hrs||3:00 hrs|
||0:31 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?