HALF-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, YOUR FIRST, BUILD-PEAK PLAN, 10-13hpw, HR MONITOR, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a half-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Prepare for a half-distance triathlon: swim = 2k, bike = 90k, run = 21.1k
- Plan is intended for the triathlete (of any age) doing his or her first half-distance race.
- Plan is for 12 weeks in the Build to Peak training periods, culminating with your race.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“Thank you for putting together such great half-distance training plans. This has given me great confidence that my half goal is attainable, and it’s thanks to the fitness I’ve gotten by sticking to your plan!” —Justin, amateur athlete
This half-distance triathlon plan was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Triathlete’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This plan is intended for the triathlete new to the half-distance race. It may also be used by the athlete who has not done a long-course race in some time and wants to get back into racing at the half distance. It may be used by either an under- or over-50 athlete. By the end of 12 weeks you will have excellent half-distance race fitness.
When should you start the plan?
The plan is best started 12 weeks prior to your race, and it ends on your race weekend. The last week of the plan organizes the workouts based on which day—Saturday or Sunday—your race is on. Your swim, bike, and run training zones (heart rate and pace) should be established before beginning this plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
Weekly training volume starts at about 10 hours per week and gradually increases over the 12 weeks to a high of about 13 hours in week 10. A typical week includes 3 swims, 3 bikes, 4 runs, and 1 strength workout. There is a rest and recovery week every third week in which training volume is reduced to about 8 hours. At the end of these R&R weeks there is simple testing to gauge progress toward your race goal.
Do you need any devices or apps?
The bike workouts require a heart rate monitor for the bike (there is also a similarly titled plan that uses power rather than heart rate for the bike). Run workouts are heart rate–based and swim workouts are based on pace per 100. The workouts were created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that they may be uploaded to a device (heart rate monitor, indoor trainer, etc.) or an app so that they may be followed precisely during the sessions. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it is NOT necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|2:58 hrs||2:00 hrs|
|2:29 hrs||1:15 hrs|
|4:13 hrs||2:30 hrs|
|0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||2:58 hrs||2:00 hrs|
||2:29 hrs||1:15 hrs|
||4:13 hrs||2:30 hrs|
||0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?