HALF-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, BUILD-PEAK PLAN, UNDER 50, 16hpw, BIKE POWER METER, 11-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a half-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
• Prepare for a half-distance triathlon: swim = 2k, bike = 90k, run = 21.1k
• Plan is intended for advanced and well-experienced triathletes under age 50.
• Plan is for 11 weeks in the Build to Peak training periods, culminating with your race.
• Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
• If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
This half-distance triathlon plan for the under-50 athlete was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Triathlete’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This plan is intended for the under-50 triathlete who has been racing for two or more years, but it may also be used by older athletes who have found that they recover quickly. The plan uses common triathlon language to describe the workouts and is easy to follow. By the end of 11 weeks you will have excellent fitness and be ready for your A-priority, half-distance race.
When should you start the plan?
Before starting this plan, you should have completed a Base training period and be able to train at least 15 hours per week. You should be able to swim 1 hour, bike 3 hours, and run 2 hours. Your training zones should be established before beginning this plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
This 11-week plan includes two Build periods of four weeks each, two weeks of Peak period, and ends with the week of your A-priority, half-distance race. In the Build weeks, there are 3 weeks of quality training before a recovery period of 5 days. The three Build training weeks in each four-week block are around 16 hours per week. The R&R weeks are about 7–8 hours per week. The key to the success of this plan is the race-specific intensity inserted at just the right times. Optional strength maintenance workouts are included as suggested in The Triathlete’s Training Bible.
Do you need any devices or apps?
To use this plan you need a bicycle power meter to manage workout intensity. A heart rate monitor is also required for the run. Swim intensity is based on pace per 100. The plan was created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that workouts are highly structured and may be uploaded to a device (power meter, heart rate monitor, GPS, indoor trainer, etc.) or app so that they may be closely followed. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it’s not necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you.
“Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.” —Joe Friel
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|3:30 hrs||2:00 hrs|
|5:46 hrs||3:00 hrs|
|3:08 hrs||1:05 hrs|
|0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||3:30 hrs||2:00 hrs|
||5:46 hrs||3:00 hrs|
||3:08 hrs||1:05 hrs|
||0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?