HALF-DISTANCE TRIATHLON, BASE PLAN, UNDER 50, 13-19hpw, HR MONITOR, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a half-distance triathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
- Prepare for a half-distance triathlon: swim = 2k, bike = 90k, run = 21.1k
- Plan is intended for a triathlete under age 50 who has been racing for two or more years.
- Plan is for 12 weeks of Base training, to be followed by Build-Peak-Race training.
- Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
- If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel’s wealth of knowledge in triathlon is astounding.” —Siri Lindley, triathlon world champion
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“Thank you for putting together such great half-distance training plans. This has given me great confidence that my half goal is attainable, and it’s thanks to the fitness I’ve gotten by sticking to your plan!” —Justin, amateur athlete
This half-distance Base plan for the under-50 triathlete was designed by Joe Friel using the principles from The Triathlete’s Training Bible. Having this book handy will help with many of the workouts presented in the training plan but is not necessary.
Who is this plan for?
This plan is intended for the advanced triathlete who has been racing for two or more years, but it may also be used by older athletes who have found that they recover quickly after hard or long workouts and can train with three consecutive weeks of quality training before needing a recovery period. The plan uses common triathlon language to describe the workouts and is easy to follow. By the end of 12 weeks you will have excellent Base fitness and be ready to start the Build period 11 weeks prior to your A-priority, half-distance race.
When should you start the plan?
This plan is best started about 23 weeks prior to your first A race of the season. Following this 12-week plan will get you ready to start the Half-Distance Build period, which specifically prepares you for your A-priority race. You should be able to swim 1 hour, bike 1.5 hours, and run 1 hour before starting the plan. Your training zones should be established before beginning this plan. (For a detailed description of how to set your zones for heart rate, power, or pace, read this.)
What is the weekly volume?
Over 12 weeks, you will increase your weekly volume from about 13 hours to around 19 hours. A typical week includes 4–5 swims, 4–6 bikes, 4–6 runs, and 1–2 strength workouts. Exceptions are the R&R weeks every fourth week with volume significantly reduced to 4–5 days and self-testing at the end of the week to measure progress.
Do you need any devices or apps?
A heart rate monitor is required. Swim workouts are based on pace per 100. The plan was created using the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format so that workouts may be uploaded to a device (heart rate monitor, indoor trainer, etc.) to help you follow them precisely. (For more information on compatible devices and apps and how to export the workouts, read this. However, it’s not necessary to upload the workouts in order to use this plan.)
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you. Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?