Ironman bike economy Block
Mike BridgeAll plans by this Coach
A short block of work designed to be used in the off season or preparation phase to develop bike economy. Both bike and swim disciplines are put into maintenance mode whilst the run is prioritised.
The block utilises high intensity training to develop bike economy and improve speed and endurance at all intensity levels. The hard sessions in this block are very hard and therefore the easy runs and bikes need to be kept at a very low intensity to allow adequate recovery.
The use of an indoor trainer would be advantageous for the bike sessions.
Whilst the plan can be used be used by any athlete to develop cycling economy over any distance it is ideally suited to 70.3 or Olympic distance athletes. It would be ideal to complete this block several times in the pre season with bike and swim specific blocks inserted between each run focus.
To get guidance or help with this plan see:
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|6:18 hrs||2:24 hrs|
|1:39 hrs||1:10 hrs|
|1:11 hrs||1:00 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||6:18 hrs||2:24 hrs|
||1:39 hrs||1:10 hrs|
||1:11 hrs||1:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?