This plan assumes that you have completed one of my Base modules and have established your endurance.
While the average training load is 11 hours per week, this plan is challenging because the key workouts are very specific to your needs as a Half Distance athlete. Where appropriate, I have explained how experienced athletes can beef up the plan a bit.
Strength training is not emphasized but I have placed one strength session per week into the plan. This session falls on Monday in the first 6 weeks of the plan and Wednesday in the second 6 weeks of the plan. Within my own training I would use two session per week until the until the final two weeks of the plan. If you want to place a second strength session then the combo that fits best is Monday/Friday (first 6 weeks) and Wednesday/Sunday (next 4 weeks)
There is an important race simulation workout that falls six weeks out from your goal race. You can substitute a B-, or C-, priority event for this race. An Olympic Distance race would be the most appropriate choice. If you are new to Half Distance racing then, I believe, you will get the most benefit from following my race simulation workout that weekend.
The swimming program is focused on distance freestyle improvement with main set distance capped around 3000 meters (3300 yards). Where appropriate, I have explained how to dial the program up, or down.
The plan is appropriate for athletes racing all distances with weekly volume ranging from 8 to 13 hours per week.
Swim - up to 3,300 yards / 3,000 meters
Bike - up to 40 miles / 65 kilometers
Run - up to 10 miles / 16 kilometers
I hope you enjoy,
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.