EcoTrail Wicklow 80k - Experienced Plan (7 weeks)
Rene BorgAll plans by this Coach
This is the Experienced level plan for the EcoTrail Wicklow 80 km race - FINAL seven weeks. This plan is suitable to you if:
- Plan to begin training for EcoTrail Wicklow on Monday 8th August 2021 (longer plans won't be available until 2022)
- You plan to be competitive (finish in less than 10.5 hours)
- You are training for the EcoTrail Wicklow 80 km or other hilly 80 km trail race
- You are not currently injured or carrying a niggle
- You can run at least 3-3.5 hours comfortably
- You have run with some consistency for the last 6 months
- You run 5 -7 days per week or more
- You have run at least 8 hours per week on average recently (if not you'll need to adjust down the starting volume or lower your pace for all workouts)
- You have some previous experience with different types of running sessions such as intervals and tempo runs
- You have access to some hilly terrain and trail as the plan includes runs on hills an trails (if not you must improvise: it's not ideal but work with what you have)
- Have a watch to record pace. A heart rate monitor is a bonus but not requiredThe basic week revolves around:
This plan consists of only the final 7 weeks of the build-up:
- 5 weeks 'RACE-PRACTICE' training and a 2 week COMPETITIVE period consisting of a Taper week and a Race week
- 6-7 days training with rest days on Mondays and Fridays (note you can switch days around to suit yourself)
- Average volume of 9 hours 30 minutes per week with minimum of 5.75 hours and maximum 10 hours 30 minutes (about
- 2 easier weeks (1 step-back weeks and the final 1 'taper' week)
- Faster work generally done on Tuesdays and Thursdays and Long Run Sundays ((if you shift this to suit yourself remember to move other workouts so there is not a hard run within 24 hours of the long run)
- Polarised training: Only about 10% of the total running volume is done at paces above AT (paces you would describe as 'faster than easy'). These faster element are spread over 16 of the total 42 runs (leaving 26 runs that are 'purely easy intensity')
You can book further support for any questions you have here:
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?