Base Phase One 5+ Days/Week
Dr Will O'ConnorAll plans by this Coach
Let’s getting training (Base Phase One). Base Phase One is a great starting point for any athlete at any time. Starting a new training plan, coming back from injury, or in need of some structure while you decide on your next move. You should use Base Phase One to determine how much training you can handle over a four week period. It may not look like much, but after four weeks it’ll feel like twice as much!
The Three Points of Note
1. Consistency. The goal of Base Phase One is used to determine your baseline level of training. That is, how much training you can do each and every week. There are know awards for training hard just yet.
2. Time trials. First and foremost, you need to figure out where you are. A good starting point is to complete a time trial (TT) to set the benchmark. Here are a few TT options for you can use depending on your sport.
Swimming = 200m + 400m (Calculate your CSS)
Cycling = 8min Power test (info here) or 1hr heart rate speed average
Running = MAF test (read about the 180 formula here) or 5km
Once you've got your starting point, you can use it to help monitor your progress.
3. Be conservative. You’re in base phase 1 because you’re starting a new training journey. That means there is a long road ahead. Aiming to train more than you’ve trained in the past, or trying to progress too quickly will not end well.
Training time (min = 3hrs:45min, max = 7hrs:45min)
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?