Trail marathon or 50K training plan: 18wks, intermediate + email support
Andrius RamonasAll plans by this Coach
This training plan will physically prepare you for a long trail race. I am a running coach, ultra trail runner (The North Face Australia & NZ team) and exercise physiologist, and I am happy to share my coaching knowledge and experience of ultra trail running with you.
This intermediate plan balances fundamental running skills, speed, strength work and mileage. Trail and road-specific workouts are challenging but fun.
IS THIS PLAN FOR YOU?
This plan is designed for intermediate runners. Before starting this plan you should:
- be comfortable with 35-40K training weeks
- be able to complete 60min or longer training runs
- have no current injuries that prevent you from running
- (ideally) have some experience with higher intensity interval training
- RPE-based training intensity prescription (Note: I can help to you to individualise by heart rate/running pace. Feel free to email me - see contact details below)
- Longer run: Saturday or Sunday
- Strength and Conditioning: 2 sessions/week on average
- Biggest training week: 80K+ or more than 10-hrs of training
- Longest run: 35-40K
HOW IS THIS PLAN STRUCTURED?
- Weeks 1 to 6 increase your weekly running mileage and improve your fundamental running skills, speed and overall strength.
- Weeks 7 to 12 will further target your overall running fitness and skills with increased training volume, as well as uphill and cardiovascular endurance workouts. Expect to be challenged with harder high-intensity workouts and combinations of uphill and downhill drills. A second longer run will be introduced during the week.
- Weeks 13 to 18 will lead you through a trail running-specific training phase with higher speed workouts on trails. Those will be the hardest training weeks where you will complete your longest training runs.
To be successful in running races (road and trail) requires an understanding the demands of that particular race and to address them with specific training. For example, to move swiftly through mountainous terrain, development of trail running skills and good running technique on uphills and downhills is just as important as completing physically demanding and fast sessions. Similarly, the ability to cover long distance is a result of being able to conserve energy (being more economical) during long running hours without fatiguing too much and too early. This plan will balance endurance training, speed development, running technique, and strength to prime you for a challenging ultra trail race.
If you have questions, please contact me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|6:04 hrs||4:00 hrs|
|0:54 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Day Off x2
|0:08 hrs||1:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||6:04 hrs||4:00 hrs|
||0:54 hrs||0:30 hrs|
||0:08 hrs||1:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?