Karen BuxtonAll plans by this Coach
This 12-week plan is for novice runners who are preparing for their first high school cross-country season. The plan's weekly running mileage begins with 6 miles (3 run workouts per week) and slowly builds to 14.25 miles (4 run workouts per week) in week #11. Every third week is a reduced run duration and frequency, rest & recovery week. Efforts are based on perceived exertion (see this link: http://www.coachbuxton.com/Rating_of_PE.pdf) and/or HR zones, if training with a heart rate monitor. On the days of non-run workouts, athletes are encouraged to cross-train (cycle, row, deep water run, elliptical, etc) and to take one day completely off from training. It is also recommended that athletes complete 2-3 sessions of the core workouts each week.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.