12-weeks Cross Country Season Preparation--Novice
Karen BuxtonAll plans by this Coach
This 12-week plan is for novice runners who are preparing for their first high school cross-country season. The plan's weekly running mileage begins with 6 miles (3 run workouts per week) and slowly builds to 14.25 miles (4 run workouts per week) in week #11. Every third week is a reduced run duration and frequency, rest & recovery week. Efforts are based on perceived exertion (see this link: http://www.coachbuxton.com/Rating_of_PE.pdf) and/or HR zones, if training with a heart rate monitor. On the days of non-run workouts, athletes are encouraged to cross-train (cycle, row, deep water run, elliptical, etc) and to take one day completely off from training. It is also recommended that athletes complete 2-3 sessions of the core workouts each week.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|0:45 hrs||0:15 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||0:45 hrs||0:15 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?