8 WK BASE MILEAGE & SPEED BUILDING PLAN- ADVANCED
XTRA MILE LIFESTYLE COACHINGAll plans by this Coach
This is an 8 week base/maintenance plan that is great to use between training cycles. The plan was created to help maintain/grow fitness while still offering some much needed downtime and recovery.
Both of these things are important because the training done in an “off season” can directly dictate how effective a next training cycle can be. Laying down ground work can help an athlete be better prepared to handle a higher intensity of larger training plan later on.
This Advanced Plan is for those that have been running consistently for a good period of time, have a strong base and have been doing weekly workouts (quality and long runs) for a good amount of time. The plan will include 5-6 days of running a week- 1 prescribed rest day and 1 optional run or rest day.
The plan has been built to focus on the following:
1) Lower Overall Mileage and Shorter Long Runs: The goal here is to keep endurance up without wearing the body down week after week.
2) Improving pure speed through shorter distance/faster intervals: Focusing on this kind of speed, strength, power, and explosiveness can all help lead to faster workouts and race times in future training cycles.
3) Strength/Mobility and Cross-Training: While note written into the plan, it is important that an athlete put some focus on other activities that might have been neglected during hard training cycles. Strength, core work, stretching, yoga, and other activities like swimming and cycling only serve as a benefit also help ward off future injuries.
Please note: White the recommended # of days a week of running have been listed in the plan, this is not a hard set number. If you want an extra rest day, or need a break here and there, take it! This is the time to do it. An off-season plan is not meant to be so rigid. You should absolutely take the pressure off during this time and take a break from intense training so that you feel both mentally and physically prepared to dedicate fully to your next training cycle when it is here.
A couple other logistical notes about the plan:
-This plan is best used with a GPS device.
-Workouts are built off a % of threshold pace/also known in this plan as your GOAL RACE PACE. It is important that you have an accurate threshold pace in your profile to ensure that the workouts have correct paces for you.
- Each workout includes pre-workout notes that aid in understanding the goal or specifics on where/how to run it.
-The low end of mileage is always entered as the planned distance, however- the title of the run will call-out if there is a range for that day.
-Cool Down to Distance means that your cool down should be run until you reach the planned distance for the day
-The Sunday that concludes the week has a note that features the total mileage range for the week.
If you have any questions about the plan, please email email@example.com to speak with a coach.
Xtra Mile Lifestyle is a Running and Triathlon Coaching team based out of Minnesota.
Please visit us at xtramilelifestyle.com to learn more or inquire about further coaching opportunities.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?