Run - Marathon Basic Training Plan (16 weeks)
Vision Quest CoachingAll plans by this Coach
This plan is intended for a first time marathoner who wants to be prepared to complete 26.2 miles. It will likely start a little too aggressively for a complete beginner, so if your are not already comfortable running at least a 5k or active in some other endurance sport, we would recommend starting with our 8-week 5k or 10k training plans prior to beginning this plan.
Aerobic endurance and proper pacing are the most important qualities to successfully completing a marathon, so this plan focuses on a steady increase in weekly training volume and run intensity is limited. Cross-training is recommended once a week, and as an optional replacement for one weekly run for those who may be dealing with an injury or who have a history of running-related injuries.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|1:54 hrs||2:00 hrs|
Day Off x1
|0:28 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||1:54 hrs||2:00 hrs|
||0:28 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?