This training plan is designed for Intermediate runners to complete the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. At the start of this plan, you should be able to run or run/walk for at least 60 minutes, and have averaged 15 miles per week for the last 3 months.
Prior to beginning this plan, it is recommended that you have completed a standalone 26.2 mile marathon at least once, AND have completed a half-marathon distance in the last 18 months.
Tracking Device: ie Garmin, Polar, Suunto, etc. that can track miles, time, and heart rate.
Foam Roller or other recovery device.
Resistance Bands for post-run strength.
Training for the Goofy Challenge is about time on your feet rather than speed. The long, slow miles are the key to this plan, which means you are best served by not thinking about pace, but rather about effort.
What is included:
22 weeks of training leading up to Race week
2 weeks post Goofy for recovery in a separate plan, which you will have access to later.
Printable PDFs for unlimited use.
Email Access to Coach Heather for questions.
Exclusive Videos for participants to include training tips, workout breakdowns, Runner's Strength Sessions, RunDisney event tips, and much more.
When applying this training plan to your TrainingPeaks Calendar, select "Apply" to "end on" the last race of the event, i.e., for the 2024 Goofy Challenge, your plan will end on 1/7/24.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.