20 Week Marathon Training Plan - Advanced II / Intense
Marathon HandbookAll plans by this Coach
Our 20 week Advanced 2 Marathon Plan (INTENSE) is our toughest training plan.
It is based on the Advanced Plan, but replaces one of the rest days with an extra speed work day. This means two days of speedwork per week; 5 days of running, one day of cross-training, and one rest day.
Note: this plan is for people aiming to crush it and reach for the ‘elite’ section. Even if you’ve run several marathons before, this training plan might not be for you. If you’re training for Boston or to truly compete, then you’re in the right place.
Who Is It For?:
Ambitious, experienced runners who are looking to train for the fastest marathon of their lives.
Runners who have a good existing running base and want to really push their limits in their marathon effort. Perhaps you’ve already run a few marathons and are looking to set a new PB. You should already be capable of training six times per week, and run 10 miles continuously.
Five months // 20 weeks.
This plan starts off with a good level of intensity, and continually rachets it up.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?