Derek HawkinsAll plans by this Coach
This training plan is for runners who:
• ready to start their marathon training block
• may have already completed a sub 3.00 Marathon or very close to
• in a position to run 20miles for their long run
• have completed approximately 55-60miles per week previously
• are ready to run 65miles per week (top end mileage)
• can train (up to) seven times a week
• are capable of running twice a day for 1-2 days per week
• has had at least 4-6 weeks of easy running and interval training before starting this plan
• are committed to giving the plan their best shot.
Arrange the runs around your commitments and balance these with rest days. To get the best from the plan balance training with good nutrition, hydration and quality sleep.
The paces for each run are based on a sub 3.00 Marathon. Those with stronger PB's over shorter distances may need to adjust slightly. They are a rough guide based on flat terrain, good weather & you're feeling good. Adjust them if needed!
Before setting out on an exercise regime you are well advised to visit your doctor for a check-up. A good doctor will be pleased to see you and should give you some advice on setting out – particularly if you have had a health problem like asthma or suffer from carrying excess weight.
It is also advised you consult a physiotherapist prior to starting a regime.
The plan includes different types of training and progresses in volume and intensity before tapering for Race Day. Make the plan personal to you. If you miss some of the plan as a result of injury, illness or other pressures, don’t try to make up for lost time by cramming the missed training in and doing more. If you’re feeling tired, adjust the plan, reduce the intensity of the run or go for an ‘easy’ run instead of trying to force yourself to fit in the workout. This can increase the risk of further fatigue, injury or illness.
Also perhaps consider getting regular massage during the 10-week programme to help recovery and reduce the risk of injury.
On the day of the race, don’t try any food/drinks/gels that you haven’t tried before in training. Stick to what you’re used to.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?