Peak for your best ever race-fitness!
"I have made nice improvements. My Z2 pace has improved from 8:40 to 7:50 in 3 months!" Peter Eberle, 2018
"I completed Sevilla Marathon in 3:31:07 a PB and better than predicted. I wanted to say a HUGE thanks for putting together this plan!" Giordano Mastrocinque, 2019
Read more >>
Visit "Training for Marathon Running" for more information. Key features include:
To start you should already be running 6x per week and able to jog for 2:30 hrs. View sample weeks below:
Still not sure? We will happily switch your plan within 14 days of purchase.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
15 mins in Z2 (easy/steady).
4 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z4 + 30 secs recoveries in Z1).
Run for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
5 mins in Z1 to Z2 (easy).
All in low to mid Z2. These runs are to be done slowly. They will gradually build your endurance and increase your efficiency. If you do them faster, you'll increase your injury risk for no real benefit.
All in low to mid Z2. An easy run that can be done as a warm up to the Strength & Conditioning session that's planned for today.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Reverse Lunge: 3 x 6 (Exercise 6)
3. Step Up: 3 x 10 (Exercise 7)
4. Bench Press: 2 x 12 (Exercise 14)
5. Tricep Kickback: 3 x 10 (Exercise 15)
6. Bird Dog: 3 x 8 (Exercise 18)
7. Lying Hip Abduction: 3 x 12 (Exercise 19)
8. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 20)
9. Reverse Crunch: 3 x 12 (Exercise 26)
Flexibility: 10-15 minutes
1. 3 x 8 = 3 sets of 8 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 30 - 50 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
All in low to mid Z2. Ideally on a hilly route.
All in low to mid Z2. This run should feel easy and you should be able to hold a conversation. These runs gradually build your endurance and increase your efficiency.
Easy or steady run all in low to mid Z2. Do the last 15 minutes at low to mid Z3.