WhittleFitAll plans by this Coach
Welcome to the WhittleFit 20-week marathon training plan. The plan is written for intermediate athletes (who have ran consistently in the past and have run at least a half marathon).
This plan is based around four to five runs per week, with one rest day and two days of strength & conditioning.
The plan starts with a base phase of ten weeks. The aim of this block of training is to establish your aerobic base. This phase will lay the foundations for you to increase the intensity and develop power and speed in the following eight week build phase. The plan then leads into your race with a two weeks peak phase.
You will undertake test weeks on week 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17. The overall training volume during these weeks is lower than the week previous. This is to allow some recovery from the previous block of training and freshen you up for the next block of progressive work.
The results from the test are used to create heart rate (HR) and / or pace zones. These intensity zones are used to guide you through training sessions to ensure you stress the body the correct amount during each session to get the desired overall training effect and strike the balance between stress and recovery.
Until you test and calculate training zones you can train using rate of perceived exertion (RPE). There is a guidance sheet attached on RPE.
Good luck with your marathon!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.