You've decided to run a marathon, now it's time to train! Our 15 week program builds from a 10k base up through your marathon. With a mix of speed, tempo and long distance runs, you will be challenged to push yourself but will feel confident when you get to the starting line.
Our plan is appropriate for any athlete and considers the stresses running can have on the body. Each week has 4-5 days of running and builds to 46 weekly running miles.
Workouts are written in paces based on your personal abilities. The below guidelines should give you a sense of the pace at which you should complete each run. To figure out your starting point, take the time from your most recent race of one of the below distances and calculate your times from there.
Marathon Goal Pace ("MGP"): your targeted marathon pace (Zone 2-3)
Mile: 1:15-1:30 faster than MGP (Zone 5)
5k: 1:00 - 1:15 faster than MGP (Zone 4)
10k: :45 - 1:00 faster than MGP (Zone 3-4)
Half Marathon Goal Pace ("HMGP"): :30 - :45 faster than MGP (Zone 3)
Easy Run: 0:15 - 0:30 slower than MGP (Zone 2)
Long Run: 0:45 - 1:30 slower than MGP (Zone 1 - 2)
Good luck and happy training!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.