16 Week Marathon Training Plan
Dr Howard Hurst (www.proformsportscience.co.uk)All plans by this Coach
This 16 week marathon training plan is aimed at those who can already comfortably run 10 km and want to progress to marathon distance. Before starting the plan you are recommended to perform a timed 10 km (6.2 mile). All training session intensities will be adjusted based on your 10 km pace.
The plan is made up of 4 key sessions. Each week will include a speed work session to develop leg speed, hill repeat session to develop leg strength and a long run to improve endurance. In addition, every other week will include a tempo run to enhance anaerobic capacity.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|1:00 hrs||1:20 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||1:00 hrs||1:20 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?