Rachel Zambrano & Peaks Coaching GroupAll plans by this Coach
This marathon plan is designed to focus on intensity and training is based on a five zone training system to prepare an athlete for a marathon. The preferred method of training is by power, followed by pace, then by heart rate, then, if no other training tools exist, RPE. The zones are as follows:
Zambrano Run Power Training Zones (based on % of threshold):
Z1 (recovery) < 82%
Z2 (endurance) 82% - 88%
Z3 (tempo) 89 - 95%
Z4 (threshold) 96% - 104%
Z5 (anaerobic) >104%
For athletes using pace, this plan uses Joe Friel's running pace zones, however zones 5a, 5b, and 5c will not be used separately in this plan.
For athletes using heart rate zones, this plan uses Andy Coggan's heart rate zones.
The RPE scale used in this plan has only five zones and is roughly equivalent to the zones listed above.
Zambrano Run RPE Training Zones:
Z1 (recovery) This is easy. You should be able to hold a conversation at this pace without breathing hard.
Z2 (endurance) This is your all day pace. Conversation becomes difficult, but not impossible.
Z3 (tempo) This is your marathon pace. Holding a conversation isn't impossible, but it is challenging to run and converse at the same time at this point.
Z4 (threshold) This is almost the top of your ability. You aren't sprinting, but conversation is impossible
Z5 (anaerobic) This is everything you have - all the gas in the tank that you can give. Intervals here don't last more than a few minutes because your muscles simply can't go much longer than that.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.