Gale BernhardtAll plans by this Coach
This 14-Week training plan is for the runner looking to step-up to a new distance and successfully complete a 13.1-mile event. Personal speed records will come at another race. The beginner plan is written for athletes intending to run, or run and walk, the event at a pace between 12 and 16 minutes per mile (finish time at 2:37 to 3:30). If you use the training plan “as is”, it is a 14-week program. The first week of the plan has you running three or four days. One day is a 20-minute run, the second day is a 30-minute run, the third day is your “long run” at 30 to 45 minutes and the optional fourth run day is 20-minutes long. The plan helps you progress to a long run between 2:15 to 2:30 in Week 10.
The plan is laid out with a form run on Tuesday, an optional easy bike ride on Wednesday, a race-pace or endurance run on Thursday, a long run on Saturday and either a run or a long bike ride on Sunday. What? Why bike rides to prepare for a half-marathon?
In coaching multisport athletes I found cycling can be used to prepare people to run long distances without the joint-pounding stress that running creates. In the case you don’t have a bike or don’t want to use cycling to train for this event, there is a run scheduled in the plan for you to use on Sunday. So, all Wednesday bike rides are optional for everyone and the Sunday workout is a long bike OR a run, but not both.
Training plan hours range from 2:45 to 4:30 (running only) to 5:30 (with cycling)
Find the supporting documents you need to help you with this plan at this link.
You can find more training plan choices at THIS HOT LINK.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.