16 Week Beginner Half Marathon Training Plan
Marathon HandbookAll plans by this Coach
Our 16 Weeks Beginner Half Marathon Training Plan is a great plan to build up a strong base and do well on your first half marathon.
It’s best suited for relatively new runners, or people who lead active lives but lack running experience.
You should ideally be able to run 3 miles / 5 km continuously – regardless of pace – before commencing this plan. That said, it can be used as a run/walk plan too.
Who is it for?: Runners with a little experience, active people with no running experience. People looking to work hard to guarantee a good half marathon finish.
How Long?: 16 weeks // 4 Months. This allows for a very gradual, controlled increase in your mileage – which minimises the risk of injury or overtraining issues.
The plan doesn’t have a speed or pace focus at all – the objective is to get the required mileage in. It includes 3 mid-week runs, to be performed at a comfortable pace, and one long-slow run each weekend to build your max mileage. The plan includes one cross-training day per week and two rest days.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?