MultiSportCoaching.co.zaAll plans by this Coach
This Training Plan is for the first-time half-marathon runner or for an athlete who wants to rebuild their fitness after taking a break.
What monitoring equipment do you require to get the most out of this training plan?
A heart rate monitor is essential as the training zones are expressed in %MHR (%Maximum Heart Rate)
Why use this training plan?
Base training is perhaps the single most important training phase of the year. Many athletes never reach their full potential because they neglect this critical phase of training
Base training prepares your body for the rigours of the next training phases which will include more training Volume and Intensity.
The first 8 weeks of this training plan forms the first phase of your preparation and is meant to improve your aerobic fitness and sport-specific strength.
The next 8 weeks is the Build and Peak phase that will build your Physical and Mental strength in preparation for your 21km race.
What can you expect?
The training starts at 2 hours and 55 minutes a week and builds to a maximum of 7 hours and 56 minutes per week.
Weeks 1 to 8 - Base Training Phase
Weeks 9 to 14 - Build Phase
Weeks 15 to 16 - Peak Phase
Week 17 - Taper Week
Week 18 - Race Week
Weeks 10 and 15 are test weeks.
You would need access to a 5km running route that you can use without restriction.
Access to Facilities
Access to a flat 5km running route or circuit for the run tests.
What is included with the training plan?
Included with this plan are sport-specific flexibility and core strength plans.
Access our FREE training tools to help you accurately set up your training zones.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.