Advanced 24-Wk Half-Marathon Training Plan - Power-Based
Ryan Eckert, MS, CSCSAll plans by this Coach
This is an advanced half-marathon training plan for an athlete that is interested in setting a personal best and/or being competitive within their age group or overall ranking. This training plan is prescribed and individualized based on run power, run pace, heart rate, and Rating of Perceived Exertion (1-10 scale) and assumes that an athlete has the equipment necessary to run. This training plan includes a mixture of road running, resistance training performed in a gym, and cross-training (other aerobic activities of the athletes' choice). An athlete should have experience racing half-marathons and should have a well-developed level of fitness before participating in this training plan, including at least 12-18 months of consistently running at least 4-5 times per week with a mixture of both aerobic running and speed-work. Additionally, it is recommended that the athlete have performed strength training on at least 1-2 days per week over the past 12-18 months, or at least have a basic foundation of strength upon which to build with strength training as this training plan includes a progression of heavy strength training and plyometrics. Finally, it is recommended that the athlete has the ability and basic competency to run without pain.
Note: When viewing the weekly training volume preview on TrainingPeaks, keep in mind this training plan includes both a mixture of time-based sessions and distance-based sessions; so the weekly training volume will be expressed in terms of both time and distance.
This training plan comes with a few documents/resources that will prove useful to athletes while following along to the prescribed plan:
1. Instructional Booklet - Contains basic educational and background material that will help the athlete successfully complete the training plan and learn about the training process
2. Exercise Technique Guidebook - Contains pictures and descriptions of over 80 exercises that will help the athlete successfully complete training sessions prescribed within the plan
3. Training and Racing Zones Chart - This will be useful in documenting run pace and heart rate zones to be used during training and racing; these zones will bet set by performing tests regularly throughout the training plan
Basic equipment needed to successfully complete the run sessions within this training plan include:
-run-specific power meter (Polar, Stryd, etc.)
-proper run clothing and attire
-GPS run watch
-heart rate monitor (chest strap or arm strap is ideal over wrist-based heart rate monitors on watches)
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?