The ideal candidates for The Lockwood Half Marathon Method are experienced runners that have completed multiple race distances and are looking to get faster and qualify to get into the Boston Marathon. This comprehensive program is specifically designed to get them over the top while tailoring to those who may only have an hour to spare M-F to training.
The 10-week program incorporates 3 weeks of Base, 3 weeks of Build, and 4 weeks of Peak volume that includes 1.5 weeks of tapering. Largest peak volume week tops at about 2.5x half marathon distance (~30 Miles). The program includes integrated recovery approaches to rest and harvest gains as well as strength training to build leg and core muscle necessary for running longer distances.
There is periodic field testing to assess advances. Comes with a companion 70+ page eBook with detailed instructions on how to qualify including race logistics. Also comes with a Running Performance Console spreadsheet-based calculators with the dashboard.
3x15 Lunges (each leg)
3x15 Speed Skaters
3x15 Hip Thrusts
3x15 Donkey kicks (left and right)
3x15 Single Leg Deadlift
5 Minutes Aerobic @ Long slow distance pace
5 Minutes @ Threshold Pace. Challenge yourself @ 6:00 pace.
5 Minutes Aerobic @ long slow distance Pace
Active Cool Down/easy
3x15 Side Crunches (both sides)
3x15 Opposite Arm and Leg Raise
3x30 second Plank
Complete a full set (each exercise) ending with planks.
3x15 Regular Pushups
3x10 Tricep Pushups
Dynamic warm up with 5-10 easy warm up run.
1) Reset your watch and begin the test, holding best average pace for 20 minutes.
2) Stop your watch at the end of 20 minutes. It should feel like you couldn't have done it any faster by the end.
3) Sync results. Take note of the average pace and average heart rate if you use a heart rate monitor.
4) Update threshold pace and heart rate in your accompanying running Performance Console Template. This will derive your heart rate zones for you.
5) Update threshold pace, threshold heart rate, and heart rate zones in the TrainingPeaks Athlete Account Settings in the "zones" section. This will ensure your workouts will build with correct paces for the prescribed intensities.
30 minute run, aerobic by perceived effort