5K Run Training Plan (Novice / Intermediate, 12 Weeks, Starts Any Monday, Reusable)
Krista Schultz, MEd, CSCSAll plans by this Coach
Congratulations for taking on the challenge of a 5k run! Designed for the NOVICE to INTERMEDIATE level runner, this 12-week structured and periodized run training plan will prepare you for your 5k run.
Hand-crafted by USA Triathlon-certified coach and elite triathlete Krista Schultz, MEd, CSCS, this plan encapsulates her exercise physiology expertise with more than a decade of experience as as an endurance athlete and as a coach who has coached hundreds of other athletes to success.
Your plan includes 4 run workouts 2 strength training workouts and one day off per week with the option to substitute one of the runs with an easy bike or swim. Your plan progresses from 3 to 4 hours (max) of training per week with Monday as the designated off day. You will perform 3 tests during the training period to initially determine then update your training zones. If you are not able to complete all the workouts running then you may substitute periods of walking as needed for the workout time given.
• This plan assumes your target race is either Saturday or Sunday. You can start the plan any Monday or set the plan to end on the Sunday of race weekend.
• This plan can be re-used in the future (change start or end date).
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|2:22 hrs||1:00 hrs|
|0:50 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||2:22 hrs||1:00 hrs|
||0:50 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?