Marathon HandbookAll plans by this Coach
Our Couch to 5k 4 Week Training Plan is our classic training plan for active people looking to run a 5k without stopping in one month.
This plan is designed specifically for active people: maybe you used to run, have run 5ks before, do other sports or activities, or spend a lot of time on your feet - and feel you can jump in and progress quickly.
The long runs should be done at a very slow and comfortable pace – your goal is to try and run for the whole time – although if you must, walking breaks are OK.
Start off every workout with 5 minutes of brisk walking and preferably some dynamic stretching
Don’t worry AT ALL about your running speed. Even if you’re just shuffling forward, the important thing is to keep going for the assigned time interval – just keep going!
If you’re feeling burned out or feeling aches and pains, take a day off – and if you want to, repeat a week instead of cranking up the intensity.
Try to get in 3 short cross-training sessions per week: ideally weightlifting for runners, yoga, or some form of strength/mobility work!
Check out https://marathonhandbook.com/couch-to-5k-training-plan for more info and tips for your 5k journey!
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.