Jason ThomsenAll plans by this Coach
12 weeks of fun!!
This plan should be done a week or two following the end of the school year and will take you pretty close to the beginning of school in the fall. (12 weeks)
This is a training plan for high school athletes who are in their junior or senior years of high school. This plan is for runner's who have at least a few seasons of high school running under their belt. This plan introduces a little more speed and some more mileage than the other high school summer plans.
The goal of summer miles is to establish a solid base and increase the aerobic capacity needed to compete in the fall during XC season. You'll notice there aren't a ton of speed workouts (typically 1 per week) and 3 days of drills and striders per week.
The plan starts around 30 miles per week and peaks just above 50. I'm a firm believer than the majority of young runners, especially those in high school, do not need to run more than 50-60 miles per week, max. (Notice that I say the majority, not all runners). Basically, there is a nice gradual increase in mileage to get you ready and fit for more specific speed work during the season.
There is a 5k time trial at the end of the plan with an occasional 20 minute tempo run throughout the 12 weeks.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.