Marathon HandbookAll plans by this Coach
This 6 Week Training Plan is designed around the goal of running a sub 18 minute 5k.
The tempo runs and interval sessions include exact distances, speeds, and recovery times to aim for to hit that sub 18 minute 5k!
The hard sessions can be grouped so that there’s a tempo with an interval session one week and then interval session with a hill session the following week.
This will give your body ample time to recover. Continue to use your long run to build endurance and recover from the hard days. Allow your body to adapt to this extra load, but most people should be ready to try out a race or test run after 6 weeks of increased quality work.
The training plan assumes 5 days of running, with 2 days of complete recovery. Week 4 is a recovery week.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.