12-week Intermediate - 10K Training Program
Dominique StasulliAll plans by this Coach
This 12-week program focuses on preparing you for the demands of racing the 10K distance. If you are a semi-experienced runner looking to take your performance to the next level - this plan is for you! Even if you don't have a specifc race on the calendar, this well-rounded program will develop your aerobic engine and speed alike, building your confidence through a carefully designed progression.
[Pre-requisites] Before beginning this program you should be able to:
--Run or run/walk for 30 min continuously
--Be able to commit 3-6.5 hours a week to training
[Recommended Pre-requisites] Consider the following also:
--Treat yourself to a new pair of running shoes
--A local running store can help you find the right fit for your feet
--Running in old, worn-out shoes is an easy way to get injured
--Keep yourself strong and healthy with mobility and/or light strength training
Some key information regarding the plan:
1. WU = warmup; CD = cooldown
2. Runs can be done indoors or out, but outdoors is recommended to prepare for the elements
3. The runs can always be substituted with walking for individuals who are not cleared/ready to run
4. The terminology for many of the workouts revolves around "Zone Training" [based on run pace zones which can be set in Week 1 after the time trial workout] and/or "Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE)" [perceived effort on a scale of 1-10] ... which is described more thoroughly here:
- Zone 1 (Z1): Recovery, Very Easy, RPE 1-4, 40-60% effort
- Zone 2 (Z2): Steady, Aerobic, Comfortable, RPE 4-7, 60-70% effort
- Zone 3 (Z3): Tempo, Comfortably Hard, RPE 7-8, 70-80% effort
- Zone 4 (Z4): Threshold, Hard, Pushing RPE 8-9, 80-90% effort
- Zone 5 (Z5): 10K Race Pace and faster, Very Hard, RPE 9-10, 90-100% effort
If you have any questions at all about this plan or have interest in more personalized coaching, please email Coach Dee at email@example.com
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?