Peak for your race with 5-7 workouts per week!
"Using your program I'm already reaping huge gains. I'm running 5k's in just over 20 mins which is faster now at 40 yrs old than when I was in my mid 20's!" Daniel Dragic, Feb 2018
"I can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying the plan. It’s amazing to know what I’m doing weeks in advance!" Rachel Kjearsgaard, April 2018
More Testimonials >
This plan is designed to get you in peak shape for your Priority "A" 10K Race. Each week has 5-6 workouts, a strength session and a day off. A fitness test enables you to train at the correct intensity and track your progress. Workouts are measured in duration to avoid under or over training and can be exported to your compatible device (Garmin and more). You should already be running 5 times p/wk and able to run 70 mins non-stop. Guidance is provided for Heart Rate, Feel or Pace.
Still not sure? We will happily switch your plan within 14 days of purchase.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z2 (easy/steady),
4 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z4 + 30 secs recoveries in Z1).
Run for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
5 mins in Z1 to Z2 (easy).
These short intervals at your top end pace will boost your ability to utilise oxygen, improving your running efficiency.
10 mins in Z2.
5 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z5 + 30 secs recoveries in Z1).
8 x (45 secs in Z5, with 20 sec recoveries in Z1) 4 mins recovery in Z1,
8 x (45 secs in Z5, with 20 sec recoveries in Z1)
10 mins in low Z2.
All in low to mid Z2. An easy run that can be done as a warm up to the Strength & Conditioning session that's planned for today.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Reverse Lunge: 3 x 6 (Exercise 6)
3. Step Up: 3 x 10 (Exercise 7)
4. Bench Press: 2 x 12 (Exercise 14)
5. Tricep Kickback: 3 x 10 (Exercise 15)
6. Bird Dog: 3 x 8 (Exercise 18)
7. Lying Hip Abduction: 3 x 12 (Exercise 19)
8. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 20)
9. Reverse Crunch: 3 x 12 (Exercise 26)
Flexibility: 10-15 minutes
1. 3 x 8 = 3 sets of 8 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 30 - 50 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
This run is designed to simulate race day, including efforts at race pace with short recoveries. You will benefit both psychologically and physiologically.
5 mins in Z2.
4 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z4 + 30 sec recoveries in Z1).
4 x (9 mins in upper Z4 + 2 min recoveries in Z1).
5 mins in low Z2.
All in low to mid Z2. This run should feel easy and you should be able to hold a conversation. These runs gradually build your endurance and increase your efficiency. All in low to mid Z2.
Easy or steady run all in Z2. Finish the last 10 minutes in upper Z4.