Uphill Athlete 12 Week Grand Traverse (Ski) Training Plan
Uphill Athlete by Steve House and Scott JohnstonAll plans by this Coach
This is a beginner to intermediate level plan for those with the goal of skiing Colorado's Grand Traverse Race or a similar long backcountry ski race. It can also work well for those seeking a better fitness base for a multi-day Hut to Hut ski trip such as Canada's Wapta traverse, the Oertler traverse in Italy, Austria's Hoch Tirol Traverse, or the Haute Route.
This plan does not require daily access to snow for skiing but the results will certainly be better if you can get on snow 3-4 days per week for most of the plan. Alternative workouts including running, hiking up hill and steep treadmill hikes can be substituted. Minimal gym equipment is needed for the strength workouts. Since the GT often has sections of the course where proficient skiers can skate there are some workouts that suggest training to skate on your race gear.
Maximum weekly training volume is 13 hours and minimum is 7 hours total time.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|1:36 hrs||1:30 hrs|
|1:13 hrs||1:00 hrs|
|5:02 hrs||6:00 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||1:36 hrs||1:30 hrs|
||1:13 hrs||1:00 hrs|
||5:02 hrs||6:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?