18 Week Mountaineering Fitness Plan
Suzanne AtkinsonAll plans by this Coach
This plan is for new mountaineering students with a base level of fitness that should include the ability to perform continuous aerobic exercise like jogging for 30 minutes at least 3-5 times per week, or cycling 1 hour 3-4 times per week, as well as uphill hiking with a light pack for 15 minutes. You should own a heart rate monitor as well for maximum benefits.
Over a period of 18 weeks, the plan progresses from easy to moderate stair climbing, hiking and strength training to multi day hiking with loaded packs for several hours every day.
Successful users of this plan completed the Presidential Traverse in January. This is an advanced expedition that requires knowledgible guides or experienced climbers as well as permits.
The plan is for a "beginner" fitness level to get prepared for a very challenging, and difficult trip that requires trip leaders with a great deal of expertise.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|1:46 hrs||2:00 hrs|
|1:00 hrs||0:45 hrs|
|2:03 hrs||4:00 hrs|
Day Off x1
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||1:46 hrs||2:00 hrs|
||1:00 hrs||0:45 hrs|
||2:03 hrs||4:00 hrs|
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?