This collection of SWIM workouts are made up by myself in 2018. There are 43 workouts total (some are same workout types, but different distances).
This plan was posted to allow athletes to copy the workouts into their TP library and then use to build their own training plan.
If distance is called out, perform workout to that distance. If time intervals are called out, perform workout to that time. Times and distances are estimated for this plan to give a general idea of hours per week. Where time is called out, distances not assumed so totals for plan may reflect workouts with 0 miles. Where distance is called out, time is assumed. DO NOT feel obligated to meet time and distance. Do what's called out in the comments. If the workout does not have a warm up listed, it is implied that there should be a 5 minute warm up jog/spin with dynamic stretching before getting into the main sets.
- EASY RUN // ZONE 1/2 // Low intensity, conversational pace.
- GOAL RACE PACE (GRP) // ZONE 3/4 // The pace you are aiming to sustain for your race
- SIMULATION RACE RUN (MS): First half segment of run is performed at 60 sec/mile slower than GRP or easy pace, second half segment is performed at Goal Race Pace.
- LONG RUNS // ZONE 1/2 // These runs are performed at 60-70 seconds slower per mile than GRP. Keep the pace easy and aerobic.
- THRESHOLD INTERVALS // ZONE 5/6 // These repeats (essentially 1M-2KM in distance) should be performed at approximately 10km race pace. The recovery interval should consist of walking or easy running before performing the next repeat. A repeat is the amount of time that is performed at threshold pace.
- STRIDES // Gentle sprints. Smooth, relaxed and easy running accelerations lasting about 10-15 seconds or 60-80 yards/meters. Reach a speed of about 80% of max. Rest about 1-2 minutes between strides
- WARM UP // RUN // 5 to 10 min easy pace + 5 min dynamic stretches
- COOL DOWN // 5 to 10 min easy pace
My philosophy is very straightforward. Endurance sports should complement your life, not make it difficult. These plans are boiled down to trim the fat into workouts that give you the best bang for your buck.The non-negotiables in training are run workouts, proper nutrition, functional strength + flexibility and sleep. Without those at minimum, you will either get burnt out, chronic fatigue, injured or just plain quit. I don't want any of those for my athletes.
If you have any questions or would like one-on-one coaching or consultation on the plan, please head over to www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com and fill out the contact form, email or message me.
I am a USAT Level 1 Certified and IRONMAN U certified with 7 years coaching experience and 15 years racing experience.
Training Load By Week
Average Weekly Training Hours: 06:17