It is fast becoming apparent that us as runners need to do more than just run if we want to reach our full running potential. Especially as trail runners we need to be functionally strong for our sport. Not just to beat the next guy up the hill but also to stay niggle and injury free. The stronger your body, the better it will handle the challenges of running trail. From short sprint races where you need to be able to power up hills and be quick over challenging terrain or ultra-distances where your body needs to be strong to keep form and not collapse when you get tired. All of these are reasons we need to be functionally strong.
I have set up a 14 week beginner ‘zero to hero’ strength training for runners that wants to start incorporating strength training into their running program. This program will take you from novice in the gym and leave you at a place where you are strong and ready for your race.
We work through 4 phases:
- introduction phase
- general conditioning phase
- strength phase
- taper phase
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.