Raymond BoardmanAll plans by this Coach
“Training for excellence, with excellent training.”
When you complete one of NZs Great Walks you and your tramping mates will have accomplished something very special.
Designed for Beginner/Intermediate trampers who are looking to improve their fitness prior to tramping one of New Zealand's Great Walks.
Crafted by myself, Ray Boardman PGDipSportsMed, PGDipRehab, PGCertSc (Exercise Science), BSc (Anatomy), DipSportsStudies this plan encapsulates my passion for the sport and the outdoors.
Starting 12 weeks before you are booked in for your tramp, this plan progresses through phases to build you to your peak performance. Each week typically contains 3-4 walks, some with your pack and others are recommended as overnight tramps to a hut and back the next day. Although not necessary, I recommend using a heart rate monitor in conjunction with a GPS watch (such as a Garmin).
Prior to using this plan, you should be able to complete a steady walk for 40 minutes.
Purchase of this plan gives you access to my fortnightly coaching calls where you can ask me any training or racing related questions.
Training for another race distance? I also have training plans for Triathlons and Running events (from 5k to marathon), too.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts Per Week
Training Load By Week
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.