DUATHLON (5K/40K/5K), BASE-BUILD-PEAK PLAN, INTERMEDIATE ATHLETE, 9-11hpw, 12-WEEKS
Joe FrielAll plans by this Coach
Train smart with a duathlon plan by Joe Friel, best-selling author and internationally recognized endurance coach.
• Prepare for a run-bike-run duathlon: run = 5k, bike = 40k, run = 5k
• Plan is intended for an intermediate-level duathlete who has a goal to perform well in his or her age group.
• Plan is for 12 weeks in the Base, Build, and Peak training periods, culminating with your race.
• Receive two follow-up emails from Joe with more information on the plan (must provide email address at time of purchase).
• If plan is not working for you within the first 2 weeks, you can switch to a plan of equal value or receive a full refund.
“Joe Friel is one of the world’s foremost experts on endurance sports.” —Outside magazine
“The duathlon plan has worked wonders for my training. I can feel my speed and endurance have largely progressed, but the real kicker is that I remain injury-free.” —John, amateur athlete
Who is this plan for?
This run-bike-run duathlon plan is intended for the intermediate athlete of any age who has been training for multisport for more than two years and has a goal to perform well in his or her age group at an A-priority, Olympic-distance duathlon.
When should you start the plan?
This detailed, easy-to-follow training plan is best started 12 weeks prior to your race. You should be able to run for 1 hour and bike up to 90 minutes. The plan includes 4 weeks of Base, 6 weeks of Build, 1 week of Peak, and Race week.
What is the weekly volume?
The weekly volume ranges from 9–11 hours per week, with 10 hours per week being the most common. In a typical week you will do 6 bikes and 4 runs. Self-testing is included to help gauge progress toward a respectable placing in the race.
Do you need any devices or apps?
You do not need any devices or apps for this plan. Note that this plan does not include expected workout TSS and does not use the TrainingPeaks “Workout Builder” format. TSS, however, is still calculated on completion of every workout.
After your event, please provide feedback on how this plan worked for you.
“Thanks again for your interest in my training plans, and I hope your training and racing go very well this season.” —Joe Friel
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
|5:31 hrs||2:30 hrs|
|2:50 hrs||1:30 hrs|
Day Off x1
|0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
||5:31 hrs||2:30 hrs|
||2:50 hrs||1:30 hrs|
||0:27 hrs||0:30 hrs|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Heart Rate Monitor
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Syncs daily with other popular apps like Garmin and MyFitnessPal.
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?