This fitness test helps you to set your power or heart rate thresholds for Training Peaks.
12 mins in Z2,
5 x (15 secs in Z4 + 45 secs easy in Z2).
20 mins maximal steady state time trial. Go as hard as you can sustain for 20-minutes.
5 mins in Z2.
Note: Alternatively, if you have a bike training device with its own "FTP" test protocol, you could use that instead.
TIP: Have a fan and/or air conditioning, so that heat stress is not a limiting factor for this test.
Please check the link below for full exercise instructions, progressions, alternatives and videos:
Whole Body Strength:
1. Squat: 3 x 12 (Exercise 1)
2. Single Leg Squat: 3 x 8 (Exercise 3)
3. Bulgarian Squat: 3 x 10 (Exercise 4)
4. Reverse Lunge: 3 x 7 (Exercise 6)
5. Tricep Kickback: 3 x 10 (Exercise 15)
6. Bent Over Row: 3 x 10 (Exercise 12)
7. Mountain Climber: 3 x 8 (Exercise 22)
8. Reverse Crunch: 3 x 12 (Exercise 26)
9. Plank: 1 x 3 (Exercise 20)
Flexibility: 5-10 minutes
1. 3 x 12 = 3 sets of 12 repetitions with a rest between sets.
2. Rests are 30-50 secs.
3. When an exercise alternates right and left, the right PLUS left movement is 1 rep.
4. For unilateral exercises, perform reps on the right, then repeat on the left. Then move to next set.
5. Breathe out on exertion and maintain form throughout.
6. For flexibility see the link below or choose stretches that work well for you.
This fitness test helps you to set your pace and heart rate training zones and thresholds for Training Peaks.
5 mins in Z2 (easy/steady),
4 x (30 secs accelerating from Z2 to Z4 + 30 secs recoveries in Z1).
Run for 30 mins at the fastest pace you can maintain for the duration. Record your average pace and ideally average heart rate too.
5 mins in Z1 to Z2 (easy).
A nice steady run, mainly in Z2.
This workout works well on an indoor bike trainer; you can also do it outside. It's not supposed to be high intensity, so keep a lid on this one. You will improve your fat-burning and efficiency.
10 mins in Z2,
5 x (20 secs in Z3 + 40 secs in low Z2).
4 x (10 mins in upper Z2 + 60 sec recoveries in low Z2).
5 mins in low Z2.
Run in Z2, straight after cycling.
Steady run, mainly in Z2. Ideally on an undulating route today. This run will improve your strength and power.