Healthy Living FitnessAll plans by this Coach
This tried and tested 4 week training plan will guarantee you peak aerobically for your desired event/race. You do not need to be racing to benefit from this training plan. If you are someone who simply rides at the weekend for fun, this plan will ensure you leave you friends on all the climbs!
This training plan is heavy in superthreshold work and VO2 max intervals. This training plan is for cyclists with solid base fitness and those who consider themselves aerobically fit. This build phase will get you ready to fully maximise yourself before a key event. If you have not completed any base training, we suggest that you look at our base programmes before undertaking this programme.
The intervals in this programme are based off of functional threshold power. It is suggested that you undertake an FTP test recently before undertaking this plan.
Some guidance from Julian Roche: these intervals are all incredibly hard, but that’s where the gains come from. Hitting the watts is paramount to create the best response, so there’s a big emphasis on recovery here. The sessions can be made longer if you have the time, or shorter if you’re tight on time available, again it’s the efforts that are most important so endurance riding can be sacrificed here. If you find you’re struggling, feel free to knock off 5%, or sacrifice a rep, some endurance time, or even a whole session - again, it’s so important to be hitting these watts, so I’d rather you take a day off than grind yourself down to a point where you can’t complete a session well.
How it Works
Training Plan Sample Week
Average Weekly Breakdown
|Workouts||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Day Off x2
|Workouts Per Week||Weekly Average||Longest Workout|
Training Load By Week
This plan works best with the following fitness devices:
- Power Meter
- This plan includes a Free Basic TrainingPeaks Account.
- Access your training plan anywhere on the TrainingPeaks mobile and desktop apps.
- Track your performance with robust data tracking and detailed graphs.
- Plan for your event in the TrainingPeaks calendar.
- Track your weight, sleep, hours, fatigue and stress while you train.
- Completed workouts sync with popular apps like Garmin and Wahoo. Learn More
- If plan includes Structured Workouts, then planned workouts sync to compatible devices and guide you through workouts in real time. Learn More
This plan is protected by our Refund Policy and may, with the author's approval, be exchanged for a plan of equal value from the same author.Still have questions about this plan?
Bundle your plan with TrainingPeaks Premium, and you'll unlock our progress-tracking tools, plus the freedom to move workouts to fit your schedule.